Monday, June 25, 2012

BE A COMPONENT



From the time I was a little kid, riding my first Huffy 10-speed to friends’ houses in the suburbs of Chicago, to present day in San Diego (where I still find myself riding to friends’ houses), I have so enjoyed the freedom and feeling of cruising on two wheels. Thus, when the opportunity presented itself to be a part of Jedidiah’s team to ride in the Wrigley Field Road Tour in August, I was naturally excited.

For me, a bike has always been a luxury item – something I use for recreation. I have never really seen it as a tool for carving a better life. However, in these recent days, I have come to learn of the significant impact a bike can make for an individual and for a community. In the absence of a personal vehicle or public transportation, a bicycle can be the means of economic and cultural empowerment; for example, it can enable a female to get an education, a doctor to care for more patients during the day, and a small business owner to transport goods to the market so he or she can provide for their family.

I have experienced this sense of empowerment on a micro-level.  I am able to save myself the frustration (and expense) of finding a parking place downtown by riding my bike instead of driving. In this case, my bike has become more than just a tool for enjoyment; it has become a practical tool. But even if I did not have a bike, I could always hop in the car or take pubic transportation to accomplish my tasks. Many people do not have this luxury. In their case, the stakes are much higher. Thus, we are asking you to BE A COMPONENT in contributing to something bigger than ourselves.

This invitation is a vehicle to provide access to independence and livelihood through the Power of Bicycles.  On August 19th, I have the wonderful opportunity to join Jedidiah’s team to ride in the Wrigley Field Road Tour. This fundraiser will benefit two wonderful organizations: World Bicycle Relief (WBR) and The Chicago Cubs Charity.

Coming this fall and winter season, WBR will partner with Jedidiah to create a Jedidiah clothing collection inspired by the works of WBR.  Please check out www.worldbicyclerelief.org for more information about the people they serve and their programs. At Jedidiah, we are really excited about our upcoming partnership with WBR and specifically the impact this ride will create. To make this ride truly a success, we need your participation as we pedal 100 miles to raise financial support.
  
BE A COMPONENT.

Here’s how you can help:

Pray
The book of James states that prayer is powerful and effective (James 5:16). We ask for your prayers as we travel to participate in this event: for safety as all riders pedal 100 miles around Chicago Land, and that the work WBR and Jedidiah will do as a result of the money raised will not only make lives better for many people but the work will ultimately point people towards the love of Christ.

Donate
Once there you will be able to enter the amount you wish to contribute. 
By Mail:
Make checks payable to 'Jedidiah' and send to the following address:

Made For Good
Attn: Troy Be Ment
8949 Kenamar Drive, Suite #111
San Diego, CA 92121
By Phone:
If you are having computer troubles, have a poor internet connection, or just plain don’t like the world wide web, please feel free to give me a call: 847.494.0034
In Person:
I would really enjoy talking with you about the ride and different ways for you to be involved. If you know of a time when you will see me, or would just like to find a time to meet, my contact info is below.

Below are some specific dollar amounts and how they transfer to tangible change.

$50.00 - Provide a field mechanic with tools
$134.00 - Inspire an individual: 1 Bicycle
$250.00 - Train a field mechanic
$670.00 - Mobilize a group: 5 Bicycles
$1,340.00 - Energize a neighborhood: 10 Bicycles
$10,000.00 - Cause a movement: 60 Bicycles, 5 Field Mechanics
$15,000.00 - Empower a community: 100 Bicycles, 12 Field Mechanics

These are just some tangible examples of what a donation is able to do. Whether you are able to give $5.00 or $5,000.00, you are a component in helping people travel 4x the distance, carry 5x as much, save someone 3 hours for every ten miles traveled, and truly change someone’s life.

Chicago Land Locals
If you are able to help with any of the logistics on the day of the ride – transportation, bikes, or food – please contact me for more details on specific needs.

Again, thank you for taking the time to consider how you can BE A COMPONENT in changing a life through the power of a bicycle.

Cheers and happy riding,

Troy Be Ment

If at anytime you have a question about these processes or would like more information about WBR and Jedidiah, please give me a call or email. We will be sending out updates periodically to keep you informed on the happenings with the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment